POB 439, 2343 US 42 SW
London, Ohio 43140
HISTORY OF THE
INTERNATIONAL PENTECOSTAL CHURCH OF CHRIST
HISTORY OF THE INTERNATIONAL PENTECOSTAL ASSEMBLIES
As a result of the visit to the Asuza Street revival of G. B. Cashwell in 1906 a small group of baptized believers with a sincere desire to promote missionary work began a Pentecostal periodical in 1907 which they named, The Bridegroom’s Messenger. The Bridegroom’s Messenger became known as the “Voice of Pentecost to the South” and for a short time served as the official magazine of the Church of God, Cleveland and the Pentecostal Holiness Church. About the same time the paper was founded, this small prayer group planted a local Pentecostal assembly in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. In the year 1919, Beulah Heights Bible Institute was founded by Paul and Hattie Barth, pastors of the local church. Minutes show that Hattie Barth gave ownership of the college to the IPA in 1956. The Atlanta church along with a few other small churches in the southeast founded and chartered the Association of Pentecostal Assemblies (APA) in the State of Georgia in 1921.
In 1919, the National and International Pentecostal Missionary Union was chartered as an Ohio corporation for the purposes of visiting missionaries and encouraging fellowship with Paul Wittich as the president. The name was changed to the International Pentecostal Church (IPC) before its merger with the Association of Pentecostal Assemblies (APA).
On August 25th, 1936
the APA and the IPC met in joint council meeting at the Radio Church
in Baltimore, MD. The action of the joint council resulted in the
formation of the International Pentecostal Assemblies (IPA). The
Rev. John W. Pitcher was elected as the first Chairman. The IPA
maintained offices, continued to publish The Bridegroom’s Messenger
(still reported to be the oldest Pentecostal periodical in the
world), and own and operate BHBC in Atlanta and a campground in Lake
Odessa, MI. The IPA maintained extensive missions activities in
Kenya, India, and Mexico, which included Bible schools, orphanages,
It operated Faith Bible Institute from 1941-52. Ambassador Bible Institute was formed in 1964 and continued until it was merged with Beulah Heights Bible College in 1977.
The Pentecostal Ambassadors was founded in 1942 as the youth organization of the PCC in Akron, OH. Rev. Carl Callihan was elected as their first General President.
An extensive missionary enterprise was initiated in Brazil in 1938 and continued to be the key missionary focus of the PCC until the consolidation. It grew into an indigenous and autonomous national church and continues to expand.
The Pentecostal Witness, the official magazine of PCC, began in 1923 with Rev. Charles Crossen as editor and was printed for 51 years until consolidated with The Bridegroom’s Messenger when the trial consolidation between the IPA and the PCC began.
In 1947 the Conference
purchased the historic Cliffside Opera House in Ashland, KY to be
used as its headquarters. In 1957, it relocated its headquarters to
London, Ohio and constructed a new tabernacle and headquarters
The same legislative body adopted a Constitution and By-Laws, and elected Rev. Chester I. Miller of the PCC as General Overseer; Rev. Tom G. Grinder of the IPA as Assistant General Overseer.
London, Ohio was chosen as the site for the international headquarters. The departments of Global Missions, Evangelism and Home Missions, Ladies Auxiliary (now Women’s Ministries), Sunday School, and the Pentecostal Ambassadors were created and continue to this day.
Since 1976, the IPCC has expanded its missions emphasis into Argentina, French Guiana, Germany, The Philippines, Spain, Suriname, and Uruguay; adopted a new concentration on youth ministry, initiated literature services; developed a variety of leadership development seminars and conventions; further developed its Conference Center; embarked on a church planting campaign; and has sought a deeper corporate relationship with God. The IPCC practices complete openness in its financial accountability practices. Current officers and information is available at the web address ipcc.cc and complete statistics are available in the Annual Report Book, available to members from the General Offices.